No you’re not crazy, Twitter has started sending three new email notifications. Not to everyone, only on selected accounts at present but you can expect this feature to arrive on your account soon if it hasn’t started already.
- Replies to your messages (where someone starts a tweet with “@yourtwittername”)
- Re-tweets (where the tweet starts with “RT @yourtwittername” – or they use the re-tweet command in a twitter client)
- Favourites (when someone favourites your tweet)
Previously notification emails were only available for:
- Direct messages (a tweet starting with “d yourtwittername” – without the ‘@’)
- New follows
- Twitter updates (commercial and/or product related messages from Twitter)
Both the old and new email notifications are ON by default, but can be turned off.
How To Stop Twitter Email Notifications:
- Visit http://twitter.com
- Log into your twitter account
- Choose “Settings” on the menu (see screenshot below – click on your username in the top right of the page)
- Select the “Notifications” tab
- Uncheck the notifications you don’t want to receive
- Click “Save”